In the second century AD, Christianity stood at a crossroads — not unlike the crossroads we face today, in the 21st century. In the 2nd century, the future of Christianity was not at all certain. Initially it possessed little social or cultural influence, and found itself fighting for its life — battling other religions, paganism, local officials and the Roman Empire. Yet those believers faithfully faced the challenges and obstacles of their day. We can learn from them and live more faithfully in our day.
- The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it.
- Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good. Romans 12:21
- Little children, you are from God and have overcome them, for he who is in you is greater than he who is in the world. 1 John 4:4
- For everyone who has been born of God overcomes the world. And this is the victory that has overcome the world-our faith. 1 John 5:4
- Who is it that overcomes the world except the one who believes that Jesus is the Son of God? 1 John 5:5